3.05.2012

3,2,1...Self Destruct.

There have been times where I had what is called monkey mind. Thoughts go something like this... What am I doing? Should I stay here, my future is a black hole. Nothing is going to work out, oh I like those boots. I want to go surfing. Should I stay with him? What am I doing here? Am I ever going to figure out what I want? I suck at that. I will never be good at that. I don't know what I want to do. I have to be something amazing in this life. I think I am hungry. Why won't my mind stop reeling. (All of this in my internal dialogue). Also accompanied by a feeling of panic that the world is not a friendly place and I will never be good enough. Nice, hello anxiety and self loathing.
Sounds crazy? It is. Unfortunately, this type of thought pattern is all too common. We are not always like this but trust assured the most calm, centered and focused person you know has probably had a thought pattern like this at one point in their lives no matter how brief.
This is sooooo self destructive. It is also extremely time consuming and narcissistic. We are the only ones who can tell ourselves what to believe. We are also the only people who really matter when wondering what someone is thinking about us. What do we think of ourselves? How do we turn this around?
Even if you don't believe them at first, start saying wonderful things to yourself. Think the opposite of your previous thoughts. It feels a lot better. These positive thoughts are SMALL SUN SEEDS!
Be compassionate and kind to yourself. Happiness doesn't happen all at once and there is no sense beating yourself up for negative thoughts you made up about yourself and trust this, you did make them up. There are a lot of immensely intelligent wonderful beings out there running around with negative thoughts pulsing through their minds when they probably have something much better to be thinking about. If you identify with this then make it a point today to think something nice about yourself. Plant a small sun seed. Be present. Start cultivating.

  • I am thoughtful
  • I am smart 
  • I am a calm love filled being
Chanting, devotional singing, and mantras also still the mind. However you choose to tame the monkey mind, do so with firm kindness. The next time the chattering arises, notice it and then allow it to go away. With practice, your monkey mind will become quiet and so will you. 

                                                                                                          Quoted from the Daily OM

Also Helpful- Byron Katie's The Work

No comments:

Post a Comment